Barrys Blog

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Health Club - A Good Investment


Well, I wasn't too sure about joining Esporta, or any other Health Club for that matter - because I thought I would find it too different and boring when compared to playing squash. The problem was that I didn't always get the opportunity to play as often as I would have liked and this meant missing entire weeks without a game. So about 5 weeks ago I joined Esporta and temporarily dropped out of the squash league- and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Weight loss isn't as great as I thought it might have been - however I am now around 14st 7lbs which is almost a stone lighter than I was, but also my body fat %age has dropped considerably which seems to indicate conversion of some of that fat into muscle - still some way to go, but a good start none the less.

The idea of personal training sessions was a good one and as these were free I thought I would make the most of them. The trainer has developed a programme which I am using and slowly improving on but I have already discovered my likes and dislikes with regard to the equipment. I don't like the treadmill but do like the cross trainer and rowing machine and for both I am managing 3.7kms over 15 mins at a respectible level 10. On the weights I tend to use a selection of most of the equipment available (6 items in a set) and have just changed the regime to using a higher weight with 3 sets of 12 repetitions, which seem to work for me. This lot takes me around an hour and 15 mins to complete and I try to do this 3-4 times per week.

Carol is revising hard for her exams and we both have our sights set on the Paris weekend in just a few weeks time. Still having problems with my Broadband connection very erratic speeds and nothing close to the performance that I expected it would give. Just waiting until the end of the training period so that I can complain to BT about it.

Hope to start sailing soon again and this is tentatively booked for the 6th May. I have contacted my crew member and weather permitting - it's a date. My recent holiday was good - nothing too exciting but allowed me to get a few jobs done at my own pace and have some time to myself - I think the Dog enjoyed me being around as he got lots of fuss and attention that week.

Regards

Barry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home