Barrys Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2006

In the footsteps of the Inca's ... and Paddington Bear.

This week we sorted out our holiday for 2006. We had talked about it long enough but every trip that we looked at just wasn't quite right so we found a company who let us design our own.

We are off to Latin America again but this time it 's Peru and the Galapagos Islands. Cuba gave us a taste for this part of the world and this tour provides an interesting and varied itinerary. It's certainly quite different from it's North American relative and that's probably the greatest attraction - it's a peek into the past with a way of life and a culture that has changed little in hundreds of years, whereas a visit to the good old US can sometimes give a sobering reminder of what the near future has in store for us. Looking through the brochures there are so many places that we would like to go including Bolivia, Chille and Argentina but perhaps that's for another time.

Thinking ahead, trying to possibly imagine how many photographs I will take on an 18 day holiday it's perhaps time to looks at some more storage. I have noticed that Hitachi have useful 4 and 6 GByte Microdrives at a very reasonable price. I am tempted but also know that patience will bring it's own rewards with regard to computer related equipment.

Finally on the subject of computers my second computer build didn't go the way I had planned and the 2nd hand MoBo wouldn't POST when I assembled it. I was tired of messing around with PC's by then so I moved the other Mobo from it's case to the new case I had bought, grabbed the 1Gbyte of memory and the 3 60 GByte hard drives to give the following spec for the second machine

1800 Mhz Celeron Processor
1 GByte Ram
3 x 60 GByte Hard Drives (System and Data)
1 x 160 GByte Hard Drive (Data Backup)
Not stunning I know but works well and is a good use of the spare bits and pieces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home