Barrys Blog

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Back From Our Holidays ...Sigh

 

Well, the holiday that I have been waiting for so long has finally been and gone.
Having said that we did have a good old time and managed for the first time in ages to include some relaxation time as well as the site seeing and shopping. This was helped by the Nile Cruise that turned out to be a really effective way of travelling between locations whilst sipping a beer or two and reading a good book.
All of my camera equipment went on tour too and most of it got used - the most useful being the cheapo 50mm f1.8 lens that I bought from amazon for around £60.00 last year. This was particularly good for the early morning balloon flight when the ambient lighting wasn't as good as it could be.
I took a lot of holiday photos (1000+) but following a substantial cull they are down to around 150 images and these form our photo album that you can reach by clicking on the link. Carols photo's are listed separately and can be reached by clicking the link.


The number and size of the images has raised the question of off line and on line storage. A recent deal at ebuyer got me a 1TByte external SATA drive which is just used as a photo backup drive.

Looking ahead I noticed that PC world have BlueRay writers for around £130.00 with media at £5.00 per 25 GByte. This seemed a good plan for long term archiving of data and I may look at this for Xmas.

For Offline storage I am trialling a photo storage site called Event image, which for a basic subscription of around $25 per year allows up to 1500 images. There are a few nice features that it also provides which will be very useful. I will keep you posted on how I get on with this.
Both Carol and I have suffered with colds over the past few weeks and they seem difficult to get rid of - hardly surprising though when you see how many people are coughing and sneezing on the trains and tube.
Not been around much these last few weekends  as we have recently been back to the Midlands - its a dirty job but...

Sailing has long finished and the boat is back at home waiting for some TLC before the new season. I will soon have to return my trophy too the AGM is in early January.
The present buying period is upon us and I have few suggestions from Carol on what to get her, I just need to get around to buying them now.

This post was created a few weeks ago but has only just been published but the update is that I have now sold my 5D and have placed an order with Amazon for a 5D mk11. They are as rare as hen's teeth at the moment and I have to try to get one before we go on holiday in February. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home